Thursday, June 28, 2001

 
Russ linked to an article that reports on research that suggests that enjoying and appreciating classical music may take more brain power than enjoying and appreciating pop music. I'm not going to give you the details, go read it if you're interested.

One paragraph in the article did particularly interest me, though:

Dr Susan Hallam of London's Institute of Education - which has extensively researched the connection between music and children's attention span - gave a cautious welcome to the idea.

I'd be very interested in seeing a report on the research of Dr. Hallam. I'd love to be working to increase the attention span of my own children, not to mention the urban kids and teens with whom I work, who often have a shorter attention span than my 16 month old. I might have to bring some classical music to the 'hood. Or as one of the former addicts in our rehabilitation program said when he heard me listening to some classical music (Prokofiev), "Mmmm...Mmmm I like that music you're listenin' to brother Chris, we used to call that shopliftin' music.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?