Monday, August 27, 2001

 
Boy it's been awhile since I've been in a music store. A giant new Border's opened up a few minutes from our house this weekend, so I dropped by to check it out. I went into the music section and was thrilled to find these cool little listening stations. Of course I'd seen the listening stations that have 25 or so selected CD's that you can sample. These listening stations however allowed me to pick up any CD in the store, scan it's barcode and listen to a sampling of tracks on that CD!! That may be old hat to you, but I'd never seen this before.

Now, not every single CD was in the listening station database, but I tried an old Stevie Ray Vaughn CD that was probably recorded 20 years ago, and it was in the database. On the other hand, out of the four Walter Trout CD's that I scanned, only one was in the database. I don't know what the storage capacity for these listening stations is, but hopefully they'll continue to update their database until virtually all CD's are in the database. The other improvement that could be made is offering the entire CD for sampling. As it is now, you can only listen to selected tracks, and then it's just a sample of the track you selected, not the whole song. No matter, it's still a very cool technology! Equally cool was the viewing station which allowed you to scan the barcode for a DVD and watch the movie trailer!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?