Friday, May 03, 2002

 
Those of you who've read my blog know that I have an interest in cities...all aspects of cities. I minister in the city at a homeless shelter/neighborhood ministry, and I often drive through surrounding neighborhoods dreaming of what might be. I envision the subduing of blighted urban wilderness via bulldozer & weed whacker. I envision the reneighboring of urban neighborhoods that have been evacuated of all of their ambitious, decent, and Chrisitan residents. I envision the reglorification of urban areas by the regreening of vacant lots and the planting of trees, shrubs, and grass. I envision an architecture and urban design that again gives hope and inspires and beautifies. I envision more than this, much, much more...but not less. I've been interested in the New Urbanists and some of the promise which I think their views may just hold for the redemption and glorification of our cities--and particularly my interest in the redemption and glorification of our very worst neighborhoods.

In light of all that this piece about the Mayor's Institute on City Design on All Things Considered caught my ear yesterday on the way home from work. I didn't get to hear all of it, but I plan on listening to the rest of it when I get a chance. The part I did hear featured, to a large extent, St. Louis mayor, Francis Slay, and the particular difficult challenges that face St. Louis.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?