Thursday, August 01, 2002

 
A little over a month ago, after preaching on Mark 10:35-45 I wondered aloud (here, of course, not in my sermon) if there were sacramental overtones to Jesus' reference to both cup and baptism in this passage. Well, in the meantime I did a little ATLA search and found an article that I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on--Patrick Henry Reardon's 12 page article dealing with that passage entitled The cross, sacraments, and martyrdom from the St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly (1992). While I wait for that, I decided to snoop around the web and I did turn this up, which is a daily devotional that Reardon writes for Touchstone based on the lectionary reading for the day. On March 17th Reardon's brief comments on the Matthean parallel to this passage appear, and it looks like he might favor a sacramental reading.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?