Monday, September 02, 2002

 
From the Christian History website here's Spurgeon on Jabez, or better, Spugeon on Wilkinson on Jabez (Bruce Wilkinson authored Prayer of Jabez). Not quite as much fun as Douglas Jones' take on Jabez, but Spurgeon still more than get's the job done.

Quite against the "get ready to get your socks blessed off" approach that Wilkinson takes, Spurgeon says in reflecting on Jabez and his prayer, "I have oftentimes looked gratefully back to my sick chamber. I am certain that I never did grow in grace one half so much anywhere as I have upon the bed of pain...though the harrow go over and over thy soul, and the deep plough cut into thy very heart; though thou be maimed and wounded, and left for dead, yet if the Spirit of God do it, it is a blessing indeed." Elsewhere, Spurgeon said that affliction can be, "the best book in a minister's library." Spurgeon has a way with words, and I have to admit that I enjoyed him taking Wilkinson to the woodshed for a little "correction."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?