Sunday, December 29, 2002

 
As is my tradition, I made a different wassail again this Christmas season. This year's wassail recipe is the same as the one that was served by Sir Watkin Wynne to the faculty of Jesus College, Oxford University in 1732. It was better than I expected. I would, however, make a couple small changes next time -- I'd use less sherry, maybe two-thirds or one-half cup instead of a full cup, and I'd probably only ground a quarter of a nutmeg instead of a half. Here's the recipe:

Place a pound of sugar (I used 3:1 ratio of white to brown sugar) in a large bowl and pour on a bottle of hot ale (A good hand crafted brown ale -- I used New Castle Brown Ale). Stir well.

Grate about 1/2 of a nutmeg into this.

Add 1 cup of sherry and five more bottles of ale.

Let stand for several hours, then top off with several lemon slices (roasted apple slices are perhaps more traditional -- I used both) and two slices of toasted bread (the bread is traditionally white -- I used french bread with the crust trimmed off).


There are dozens more recipes here. As well as everything you could possibly ever want to know about wassail here. If you try it, please let me know what you thought of it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?