Friday, April 11, 2003

 
Here is a very interesting article about the redemptive shape of sports movies written by David Shields. He also wrote Black Planet, which I always wanted to read, and now am rather more interested in reading. Like Shields, I am a sucker for a good sports movie -- even some of the cheesy ones. Hoosiers, Remember the Titans, Breaking Away, The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh, American Flyers, The Rookie, Rudy, Cool Runnings, and several others all have good redemptive, sacrificial moments in them that cause me to get a lump in my throat. It's the same reason I like a good war movie...there's nothing like a man giving up his life for another -- we long for that, that is Heroic, and no matter how dimly that sacrificial hero approximates the sacrificial hero, it rarely fails to move me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?