Saturday, January 03, 2004

 
This morning as I was on a walk through my community, I noticed the sculpture pictured below -- Adam & Eve. I remembered seeing it a couple of years ago as part of the People Project in St. Louis, but had no idea that it had found a permanent home about a mile from my house.



It's an interesting piece. You can't quite tell from this view, but both Adam & Eve are represented--as two halves of one person. We're looking at the Adam side here. You can see that the tree dissects the head and body. The Eve side is the right shoulder, leg, etc. (That's what I surmised at least, slight breast, softer nose, and wider hips on the Eve [right] side). I'd love to talk to the artists about their interpretation. Quite a nice rendering, in some ways, of the him/them dynamic in Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

I would like to ask Sprague & Rahn where the fruit is, why the Adam side is wrestling the serpent (the Eve side just has snake coiling around her waist), why the dinosaur lookin' head on the serpent, etc.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?